How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 29803
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I recently went to buy a motorcycle. After checking it out I

Customer Question

I recently went to buy a motorcycle. After checking it out I placed a deposit on the bike in the amount of 1000.00 dollars. The following day I came to pay the balance and complete the sale. I paid the man the balance of 2500.00 dollars but when we went to sign the bill of sale I noticed the vehicle was salvaged. I stopped everything ND refused to sign the bill of sale; however the seller refused to refund my money. I ended up taking the motorcycle home but don't know what to do now. Should I have left the bike there and my money? Do I have any rights in this issue? Or do I just bite it and sign the bill of sale and complete the purchase? I am from anaheim California and have no knowledge of CA laws regarding private sales of motorcycles.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

You have the ability to sue for a full refund. A contract requires a meeting of the minds. That means, when you're buying a vehicle, you are buying something that you can register and title in your name and operate as a motor vehicle. If it's got a salvage title, you can't do that. A salvage title needs to be disclosed prior to the sale. So, if you agreed to buy a motorcycle that you can drive, and he agreed to sell you one that is salvaged, there's no meeting of the minds. The contract fails.

The general default rule of as-is sales doesn't apply in this situation. California law also requires that a seller provide a smog certificate with a vehicle when selling it (including motorcycles), and he can't do that if the vehicle is salvaged. Cal. Veh. Code, Section 5751.5.

You can file a lawsuit in Small Claims Court for a full refund of your money, plus your filing fees. You will be required to return the motorcycle if you win the case. You do not have to sign the bill of sale to complete the purchase.

Here are the forms and instructions.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions