How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My names and I was wondering how to go about suing a car

Customer Question

Hi my names Robert and I was wondering how to go about suing a car dealership. I bought a 2008 Ford Mustang from lithia ford in Fresno ca and had it for about a week. I ended up getting pulled over by about 5 police vehicles and had guns pulled on me, I was clueless as to why it was happening. They told me that the car was reported stolen. I was in the back of the police car for about 3 hours till it was all sorted out and all this happened because the dealership wrote down the wrong vin number and later reported that the car had got stolen.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

While you potentially have a negligence action against the dealership, the measure of damages is going to be difficult to quantify (you will have to establish an objective dollar figure for the 3 hours - this is time value, not an emotional damages issue ("pain and suffering" type damages are awarded for physical injuries such as wrongful death or battery claims), you are probably better off simply contacting their customer service department and trying to negotiate something from them (for example getting free service on your vehicle from their service department for a certain number of years, or something along those lines - you can probably do a lot more by working the positive vs. negative public image angle with them than you will by trying a small claims action (remember most of these dealerships rely on positive online reviews to drive sales and a negative review based on shoddy workmanship can be highly detrimental, while a positive one can be very helpful).

Whatever resolution you come up with, make sure to get it in writing.

If you can't reach a satisfactory agreement, you can always sue them in small claims court - see: