Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I hope I have chosen the correct type of law. I pay phones

Customer Question
I hope I have chosen...
I hope I have chosen the correct type of law. I pay for insurance for my phones through T mobile. T mobile's insurance provider is Assurant. Recently my son's phone stopped working and this insurance company never sent him his replacement phone. He doesn't have time to deal with it during the day, so basically he's been using a broken phone and gave up on ever getting his replaced. Then tonight my daughter phone was pick pocketed out of her back pocket. Her phone is the only life line she has for protection after school. So T mobile talked me into a service for $10 dollars a month that will notify me if anyone turns on her old phone. In the meantime they told me to order her another one through Assurant. When I tried I got the run around, and then the lady told me their systems were down. My question is I told her I need to know another phone is coming, I work during the day and can't call them, and this is an emergency. She didn't even give me a minute to discuss my sons replacement phone issues as well. What can I do to not have to pay for this insurance if they're not going to provide help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
12/1/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Start by checking the terms of the paperwork you got when you bought the phones. You should able to cancel the insurance at any time. Insurance typically would not cover a situation where a phone has a mechanical failure, but check to see what the terms of your policy are. If they're refusing to honor the insurance, you can also sue for a refund of premiums paid.

Lucy, Esq., Lawyer