How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legalease Your Own Question
Legalease, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 16370
Experience:  13 years experience in Consumer Protection law, in particular construction law and auto repo law
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Legalease is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If an adult child is on my health insurance under the

Customer Question

If an adult child is on my health insurance under the Affordable Healthcare Act and incurs a medical bill that is not fully covered by the insurance company can a debt collector come after me and place a negative report on my credit file? I live in Texas.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Legalease replied 1 year ago.

Hello there --


No, the adult child is responsible for any additional medical bills or bills that are not fully covered no matter what health insurance plan is used to cover the portion or majority of the service that is paid. Under these circumstances, however, you have to be certain that when the child received the service, the parents name is ***** ***** as the payor or the guarantor of the bill and that the account be separate from the parents account with the childs name and address on the account so that separate bills are sent. My suggestion is that you make certain that the information of the parents and the child is appropriately separated out at the doctor office or the hospital that is doing the procedure or that previously provided the services and notify the hospital or doctor, in writing, that any other party receiving services under your health insurance who is over the age of 18 years of age is responsible for their own copays and coinsurance. Then, if any collector puts this matter into a collection bureau you should notify the credit bureau of the same thing and proof that you notified the creditors of the age of the child and your non responsibility for any bills incurred. If the credit bureau still refuses to correct the matter and remove any such negative reporting even after being notified of all of this by you then your next step is to file a written complaint with the Federal Trade Commission -- that is the federal agency that oversees credit and collections and handles complaints regarding credit reporting and the companies that do it. Their website is


Please let me know if you have any further questions. If not, can you please press a positive rating above this correspondence box so I will be paid for my time. I am paid nothing unless you press the middle star or the fourth or fifth star from the right in the ratings section before leaving the website. Doing so will not cost you any additional money -- it simply acts as the trigger to Just Answer to pay me for my time. THANK YOU VERY MUCH