How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 117362
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I agreed on some work with a contractor. It was a project

Customer Question

I agreed on some work with a contractor. It was a project including fencing, basement painting and some electrical staff and front yard retaining wall construction and deck painting. In total, it was $3500-4000 project but he always charged more. I finished to pay him more than $5500. I also gave him my table saw worth of $500 and he promised me to deduct it from the total bill but he didn't. Now he even asks more for deck painting. The thing is it was my first project and I trusted his word. So I don't have a copy an initial agreement we mutually agreed on. So I would like to know what are my legal options. I live in Washington State.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

In arguing a case of breach of contract, you or the other party has to prove the contract and if there is no written contract, the court looks to what is reasonable. So the court would look to the value of the work performed and what the reasonable and customary charges were for that work to determine if he is entitled to more where you say you paid all that was agreed upon and he claims that you owe more.

Your legal options is to first ask him for a copy of your contract. If he does not produce it give him a written letter stating what the terms of the contract were and that you paid them what was due and they need to finish the job. If that does not work, then you have the right to sue in small claims court to get a refund for work not done or cost of what you have to pay someone else to complete the work they did not complete.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions