Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I hope I am posting this in the correct category! I am

Customer Question

I hope I am posting this in the correct category! I am opening up an ecommerce store and I have questions in regards ***** ***** liability. We are planning on selling inflatable products of all kind. Inflatable party games, inflatable Bachelorette Party items, inflatable pool toys, inflatable sofas, chouches, etc.
I have no idea yet about product liability. Do we have to add a certain paragraph on the individual product or is it enough if my manufacturer is ISO approved and has certain certifications?
Natalie
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Product liability is ultimately the liability of the manufacturer. If you were a reseller of their merchandise, the manufacturer is liable for any damage from product liability. The products you are describing rarely incur much liability and if they do it is upon the manufacturer of the product.
Your site would of course have a disclaimer that as a seller of the merchandise and not manufacturer, you are "not liable for any damages incurred from the product and offer no warranties beyond the manufacturer warranty. The manufacturer must be contacted for any defective products pursuant to the manufacturer's warranty."
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. I am also selling on amazon and ebay. I would assume, you would recommend to add a disclaimer to my product description on these sites? You know oftentimes you see a disclaimer on the actual product along with the CE sign? What is the reason that is being done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also I am planning on selling similar products in Germany. Is the law the same in each country?
Thank you for your reply.
Generally, yes, the product liability laws place liability on the manufacturer, but each country's laws must be double checked for the nuances of each country. I am not licensed in Germany, so you would need to check with a German attorney (we do not have any) to make sure.
Sorry I missed your other reply.
Yes, you would post your disclaimer on each site where you are selling the products. The CE sign just shows it is an approved product.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to print the CE sign if my manufacturer had the product approved or has that license or whatever that is?
Thank you for your reply.
Your manufacturer should have that certification on their products, it would not be something you would obtain. It is not mandatory though, it is just something that if they have it on their products it would be something you would display next to the product name.