Consumer Protection Law

Consumer protection law questions? Ask a lawyer now.

I purchased a product for $400. on the 10th, do they still…

Customer Question
I purchased a product for...
I purchased a product for $400. on the 10th, do they still have the 3 day grace period on pruchases.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
11/13/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Lucy, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Unless you purchased at a store that has a specific 3-day return policy or where you signed a contract, there is no general three day grace period on all purchases. Federal law allows a person to cancel door-to-door sales or those made in a high pressure environment (i.e., not at the seller's place of business where a person can just walk out) within 3 days. They're also required to notify you of the right to cancel at the time you make the purchase. Beyond that, the sale is final, although many merchants will allow you to exchange a product or return it for store credit if you change your mind as a customer courtesy.

Here is more information on the 3-day cooling-off period.

http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0176-buyers-remorse-when-ftcs-cooling-rule-may-help

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.