How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 29972
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My ex and I purchased a vehicle. He stopped paying the car

Customer Question

My ex and I purchased a vehicle. He stopped paying the car note with left me to pay it because I do not want to mess up my credit. I have paid for the vehicle over the past 8 months. I don't want the vehicle but I do want to trade it in because he could not refinance the vehicle due to income and now bad credit. What can I do? I live in Delaware he now lives in Pennsylvania.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

When two people purchase a car together, they have equal rights to that vehicle, unless they sign something saying otherwise. I mention that because your ex is legally entitled to half of the equity in the car, even if you're the only one who has been paying for the past few months (and regardless of who was using or driving the car before that). You have the ability to file a Petition for Partition by Sale, asking the judge to order your ex to do what is necessary to assist you in selling the car to a third party and splitting the proceeds of the sale, if any, after the loan is paid. If you want to trade it in, you can ask the judge to let you buy him out instead. But you will have to pay something in order to do that.

If you'd prefer to avoid going to court, it could help to get the Kelly Blue Book value of the car, look at the amount still owed on the loan, and see if your ex is willing to sign the title over to you if you pay him his fair share.

Also, if he's been driving the car all this time and he's supposed to have been making payments (and you can prove that), you can sue him for the payments you had to make to protect your credit. And in that scenario, it's possible that you'd be able to get him to return the car in exchange for not suing him. If you get a judgment against him, that's only going to make his credit worse.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions