How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 41654
Experience:  30 years as Texas lawyer representing consumers
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Perhaps the cause was an oil change. The vehicle needs new

Customer Question

Perhaps the cause was an oil change. The vehicle needs new motor. The dealer where the oil change was performed and car purchased decided it is not their responsibility, The manufacturer says it should not be covered on their powertrain warranty. No one takes responsibility to put in a new manufacturer motor at the manufacturer service site, and I am not able to drive the car. A motor other than new from the manufacturer, put in by the manufacturer, voids the powertrain warranty.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. I am Ray here and will be the expert helping you tonight.

Here the simplest thing to do here would be to sue the dealership who performs the oil change in small claims for the cost of new engine.Your argument is that they were negligent ans should be liable since the manufacturer will not warranty this.

You can sue yourself here in small claims up to $10k.

You file suit in the jp court where the dealership is located.

Here are sample forms and self help.

The dealership here is likely owned by a corporation and has a registered agent, you can locate that person.

Send a demand letter here to that person for the cost of the engine, when you file in small claims you serve them too.They will take this seriously if you address your demand to the proper person.

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.I wish you the best and sorry you are having to go through all of this.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Also file a complaint with Texas AG Consumer Section.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine installed is $11210.Thank you
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 1 year ago.

Well you can get at least most of it back.I wish you the best here.Thanks again.

If you can leave a positive rating it is always much appreciated.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions