How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116754
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We were harassed into signing up with a auto repair

Customer Question

we were harassed into signing up with a auto repair warrantee company and in order for us to cancel this program before the 30days are up, we need to send them a copy of the Odometer reading. federal odometer. and the paper says that we will have to give them the car? I don't understand, can you help?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Since this company is requesting an Odometer reading, in order for us to get reimbursed, I just need to know with that paper, will we be able to keep our vehicle? because it says for title transfer. and they only requested the Odometer reading and having it notarized with a stamp. and it needed to be a Federal. the name of the company is American Auto Shield LLC. w/National Auto division.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I do not understand your post.

If you were only supposed to be providing a notarized odometer reading, I am not sure why you have to deliver your car to the company.

What does this odometer reading have to do with title transfer?

Kindly clarify.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In order for us to cancel the program, and get back our money of 305.00 and to stop the upcoming charge of nearly $400, which we told them we could not afford, the lady hung up on us and they sent out the policy any way, because the 30day 1000 miles is nearly up. In order to cancel this policy before Nov 19th, we have to supply them a letter in writing to American auto shield, llc along with a federal odometer statement or a notarized affidavit verifying the mileage at the time of request. and I am trying to find out if we have to give them the van because of what is says, state the mileage upon transfer of ownership. we are in our mid to upper 60's and have a lot of health issues. my husband is going blind and this is a headache we didn't want and the guy lied to us and now we are stuck with something we told them we didn't want and he sent it out anyway. and I call that harassment.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
you know what just forget it. you don't have any clue as to what I am saying so just forget it. We are with pre-paid legal. it won't do me any good to call them either. sorry to have bothered you.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am sorry, it appears the other expert had to leave. I am a different expert.
You do NOT lose the car. You have a right to cancel the warranty contract and all you need is the notarized statement of the odometer reading. If the notarized statement form you are using says anything about title transfer, put a single line through that and initial it. It is simply you putting the odometer reading on the form and having the notary verify it and sign the affidavit. You send that with the letter of cancellation stating that you are complying with the terms of cancellation and if they do not cancel, you would be reporting them to the state attorney general for unfair and deceptive business practices.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions