How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask P. Simmons Your Own Question
P. Simmons
P. Simmons, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 34996
Experience:  16+ yrs. of legal experience.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
P. Simmons is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When I was in custody my wife forged my signature on the

Customer Question

Hello when I was in custody my wife forged my signature on the title of my car and sold it without my knowledge. Now since I found out that is sold for twice cheaper than it should. I approached the buyer with the proposition to buy back for the same amount sold or pay me difference for fair value of the market for this type of vehicle. That was unsuccessful unfortunately. Therefore I believe that my wife was manipulated and not aware on the fair value for the car and have been taking advantage of can you tell me if I have a case against the buyer in small claims court to get my car back or get additional money for the fair value of the vehicle thank you for your help in advance
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** have over 16 years experience in the law. Should you like to chat on the phone I am happy to for a nominal cost. Let me know at any time during our question and answer session if you are interested I am happy to give you more details.

I am sorry for this dilemma.

What you are describing, you would not likely have a valid suit against the buyer. The reason for this comes from the legal doctrine of "privity of contract". This doctrine holds that if you want to sue a party to a contract, you have to be a party to the contract as well. In other words, you can only sue someone over a contract issue if you were a party to the contract

Since you were not involved in the negotiations, you would not be able to sue the buyer.

If your wife could prove the buyer misled her? It may be she could sue the buyer.

But you would not be able to.

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.