Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I recently made a purchase of a sofa and chair that was to

Customer Question

I recently made a purchase of a sofa and chair that was to be delivered in approximately 4 weeks. I paid for the purchase while at the store. In the meantime, circumstances beyond my control, I called to cancel the purchase. They would not refund my money (the furniture has not yet been delivered) but wanted to issue a store credit. At this point, the money was more urgent than the new furniture. Is there anything I can do?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

There is no general right to cancel a contract once it's entered into, and an agreement to purchase new furniture is a binding contract. Even if they haven't delivered it yet, the store is entitled to payment if they have the ability to produce the items you requested. And that means you'd only be entitled to a refund if you have a written contract that says you can cancel, or if the store has a stated return policy that you relied on when buying the furniture.

Check your receipt and any other documentation they gave you. You may also want to see if the store has a return policy on their website. But unless you can find something that says you're allowed to cancel and receive a full refund, I'm sorry to say, they do not have to give your money back.

I apologize that this was probably not the Answer you were hoping to receive. However, it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

Good luck.