How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116834
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I red a Canadian trainer to help me get ready training that

Customer Question

I hired a Canadian trainer to help me get ready for military training that i can no longer attend because of a medical issue. two things this trainer did doup me into a year contract, i should have read the contract better, knowing that i was leaving 6
weeks after i signed up for his training .second issue for the same reason I can not go into the military i can not train either but he still wants his money despite the fact that i have had a medical issue that has come up that keeps me from training. His
option is to pay half the year which is a crazy $1700. Can he sue me if i refuse payment? I'm in the USA.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, if you had a contract and you signed it, you are held liable to the terms in that contract. If there was no cancellation clause in the contract, then you have an issue and he could sue you for the contract. Unless the contract has a jurisdiction choice clause in there, he would have to come to MD to sue you and it may not likely be worth his time or money. If he tries to sue in Canada, the courts there have no jurisdiction over you unless the contract said you agreed to jurisdiction there.

So you need to read the contract again to make sure. If there is no choice of jurisdiction clause, he could come to MD to sue you if you do not pay. However, you can also try to negotiate a settlement with him to take less as well based on the circumstances and see if you can come to an amicable agreement, because it will cost him more money to come to MD to sue you there than he will get in the suit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have a copy of the contract if reading it over would help.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

You can look for a section that says "Choice of Law" or "choice of jurisdiction" or words to that effect. Also, look for "cancellation." If not you can upload it here.