How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 30337
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Bought a used car would not pass inspection ( mass)

Customer Question

Bought a used car would not pass inspection ( mass) inspector told me seller is responsible for repairs. Safety problems is this true thank you Steve
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Hi Steve,

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Massachusetts has what's called a "lemon aid" law to protect buyers of used cars. If the car doesn't pass inspection within seven (7) days of the purchase and the cost of getting the repairs to make it pass will cost more than 10% of the purchase price, then you actually have a right to cancel the sale. It doesn't matter if you bought the car from a dealer or a private party, and if you bought the car from a private party, he's bound by the law even if he didn't know about it.

Then, within 14 days after you make the sale, you must send the seller a written statement that the car failed the inspection, plus a written estimate for the cost of repairs, and a note that you plan to void the sale under G. L. c. 90, Section 7N. Make sure to keep copies of everything you send him. The letter should be sent via certified mail with a return receipt so you can prove you sent it. You also must deliver the car back to the seller, preferably with a third party witness. Any adult friend or relative can act as a witness - you just want someone who can testify if necessary that you returned the car. That statute also allows you and the seller to agree in writing that he will have the repairs made at his expense rather than take the car back and give you a refund.

Here is more information:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.