Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

We purchased a brand new RV. It had several problems which

Customer Question

We purchased a brand new RV. It had several problems which were documented on a work order for repair at time of purchase. They repaired some, but not all of the items on the work order. The warranty has since run out and they are saying that they don't have to make the repairs because we are no longer under warranty. Do I have a case if they don't complete the items on the work order which were documented immediately when we took possession of the vehicle (and it was clearly under warranty at that time)?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

To answer directly, that very much depends on your actions and theirs. By that I mean, if you attempted to make repairs, that is, you brought your vehicle to them and demanded that they make those specific repairs, then the dealer is still legally required to continue repairs as they were informed AND you brought the vehicle in to get them done. But if you reported those mistakes but never gave a reasonable opportunity to have the dealer make repairs, then the dealer is no longer responsible. For example if you requested that they fix the carpeting inside the RV, and the dealer quoted you a week's worth of time during which the RV had to be left with the dealer and you never left the vehicle with them for such a long period of time, the dealer is no longer responsible as they were denied an opportunity to fix. So this is not just that the issues have to be documented, the dealer has to be given an opportunity to repair.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.