How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 56514
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was sent a bill for $7,000 from a collections agency. I

Customer Question

I was sent a bill for $7,000 from a collections agency. I paid $4,800 on this bill and the agency turned around and sold it to another agency without giving me credit for any of my money. Can they do that? Or can I sue them? Thanks
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

You should alert the new company of the payment and provide proof, which should lead to the amount being adjusted.

Pursuing a claim wrongly violates the fair debt collection practices act, so you could sue, or simply correct them with proof.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

Kindly rate the answer positively.

Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

thanks in advance.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions