How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a relative who moved into the house where I live. I

Customer Question

I have a relative who moved into the house where I live. I offered to help him with getting a phone by putting him on my sprint account. I felt sorry for him since he could not receive calls from prospective employees being unemployed. That was about 4 months ago. Recently I found out he bought an expensive I phone (using my credit) for over 700.00 dollars and has not paid his part of the bill for the last two months. I've paid part of his bill already so that my phone will not be interipted by sprint. The contract is for two years. When I found out I had his phone blocked and retrieved the phone. He has left me with s huge balance that I now have to continue to pay monthly. I know I am the responsible party but I would like to know if there is a way I can sue him for his part of the phone bill incuring energy month and the I phone that he purchased using my credit?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation. You can sue the relative for the tort of "conversion" (the civil equivalent of theft) for the unauthorized purchase of the phone using your credit.

You can sue them for breach of contract for non-payment of their portion of your monthly service fee (this can be done in the same suit).

You can find information (and forms) for how to do this here: