Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

Need help with declined disability insurance claim

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
I have history of depression and anxiety but always under control with meds and therapy. Had nervous breakdown in Jan 2015 and was rediagnosed as bipolar. Hospitalized twice, attended 3 2 week outpatient programs 3 ER visits, new meds and my life is out of control. Nothing like ever before. I had a great job for 12 years that I was successful at, several promotions, raises and never ever experienced anything remotely close to this but insurance company declined my claim due to pre existing condition.....even though re diagnosed and new symptoms, new meds, new treatment plan etc. can I fight this? Any tips?
Also, this is an employer paid policy and I never received any docs stating the pre existing condition clause in the verbiage.
Sorry, employee paid not employer
10/15/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 2 years ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

In which State are you located?

Do you have a copy of the policy?

Did the insurer deny the claim in writing?

If so, what did the denial letter say?

Here is the declination in writing...Hi Melissa,
Thank you for your patience and cooperation while we completed our review. The review of your claim for benefits has been completed and we have determined that your mental conditions (depression, anxiety, ADHD and bipolar disorder) are preexisting conditions and therefore excluded from coverage for benefits.
A decision letter and a copy of the group policy will be sent to you on 10/15/15 . In our letter we explain your right to request a review of the decision to deny your claim. If you request a review you will need to submit your request in writing and note the reasons you feel the decision to deny your claim was inaccurate. You also have the opportunity to submit additional medical information you feels supports that your conditions are not preexisting.
Given the length of time you have been off of work I recommend that you apply for Social Security Disability benefits. You should be able to apply for the benefits online-start the application process.
Take care
Michelle Brunswick | Sr. Disability Benefits Analyst
Northwestern Mutual
920 SW Sixth Avenue PSB6A | Portland, OR 97204
Phone(###) ###-#### *****(###) ###-####Toll-Free(###) ###-####x2473
Ensure a sustainable future - only print when necessary
I live in Massachusetts
I can send the policy verbiage to you tomorrow. Is that okay?
The new bipolar diagnosis that has turned my life upside down is in no way a pre existing condition. It was never discussed or treated until this year.

Yes, if you want to, you can post it here or email a copy to***@******.*** and write For N Cal Atty as the subject line.

I have little doubt that the insurer is acting in bad faith, see

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-care-law-protections/pre-existing-conditions/

which states:

"The only exception to the pre-existing coverage rule is for grandfathered individual health insurance plans -- the kind you buy yourself, not through an employer. They don’t have to cover pre-existing conditions."

But bipolar disorder is not depression, anxiety or ADHD and the insurer is just speculating that you were bipolar before you got that diagnosis.

You can get a free consultation from some of the insurance bad faith lawyers listed by location here.

The insurer called it a group policy, not an individual policy, which suggests that the preexisting condition exclusion might not be grandfathered.

You are going to need a local attorney to review the policy and all the correspondence to and from the insurer, but I think the insurer is acting in bad faith.

I hope this information is helpful.

The info you sent me and referred to in your email is regarding health insurance. I was asking about disability.

Does the policy cover ONLY disability?

as mentioned in my original request, this is in regards ***** ***** disability income insurance claim.
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney