Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

Could a repo man go in your backyard and take a car without

Customer Question

Could a repo man go in your backyard and take a car without notifying the owner where they are taking it
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

The repo may legally enter onto your property, though they must leave if demanded. They may not breach the peace or break in to a building.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

A repossessor must provide immediate notice to the consumer after the repossession. The notice must be delivered in person or by registered mail.

The notice must be sent no less than 15 days before the car is sold. The notice must provide the following information:
(1) identify the consumer (debtor), the car, and the location of the car.
(2) provide the time, place and manner that the car will be sold.
(3) provide an itemized statement of amounts owed, including any repossession charges.
(4) provide a list and the location of any personal property contained in the car –which must be kept for 30 days.
(5) explain how to redeem the contract — pay the full outstanding debt to get the car back.
(6) explain whether the opportunity to reinstate the contract is being offered — pay the overdue amounts to get the car back.

Creditors must give notice of the repossession to the local or state police within 24 hours
Creditors usually will resell the car. The sale price will be applied to reduce the amount of money still claimed owed. The consumer will be responsible for balance plus reasonable repossession and reselling charges.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Are you online with me?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.