Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I bought a used car 4 months ago. I paid 7000 $ and and am

Customer Question

Hi My name is ***** ***** and i bought a used car 4 months ago. I paid 7000 $ and and am still paying a monthly fee with 400 $ for 9 months . When i bought the car i felt that the car has mechanical problems , but the dealer assured me that the car transmission and engine and everything else is perfect , because they did service the car before i bought it ... i took the car to a mechanics to check the car and he told me that the car has a transmission problem , i took those documents and i showed them to the dealer , he told to go talk with their mechanic and i did. What he told is that the car doesn't has any transmission problem all the sounds in the car because it didn't start for a long time , i trusted him. I took the car to Olympia which i live , and took the car to service it , and they told that the engine oil is burned and the car doesn't even have Air filter on it , so i told them to change the oil and to install a Air Filter. since then the car is becoming worse and worse until last week when the check engine light came up , i took it to a great workshop they told me that the car has a transmission problem and it will cost me 5000 $ which i don't have , am only a student , and at that time i was a new student that came from Saudi Arabia. I trusted the dealer and their mechanic and now am in a big problem now , i sold everything i had to buy this car , and am still paying them 400 $ .. they sold me a junk car just because my English wasn't so good and they took advantage that i had the money on me .. the car will cost me 5000 $ and i don't have that amount of money and i don't know what to do , they scrowed me and i can't do anything about it .. Please help me
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you can do something about it.

You can make formal demand to the dealership to pay for the cost of the repair and cancel the rest of the contract because the dealership materially misrepresented the condition of the car and sold you a junk, and that you overpaid for the car. If you are ignored, you can file complaint with your Attorney General's Office and the Better Business Bureau.

You may also consider retaining the services of a local consumer Attorney to send a demand letter to the dealership to pay the repair costs for the transmission and related repairs and to cancel the rest of your payment—your car is too expensive, and if necessary file lawsuit against the dealership for selling you a junk and materially misrepresenting the condition of the car. This is an unfair and deceptive act and practice. Most consumer Attorneys would take a case on contingent fee basis. This means that the Attorneys may not charge upfront for their fees and would only get paid if they win the cases for the consumers. Even then most Courts award Attorney fees to prevailing consumers. So, you may not have to pay out of pocket to obtain a consumer Attorney to sue the dealership for unfair and deceptive act and practice to force the dealership to pay for the repair and damages you have suffered as the result and to cancel the rest of your contract.

You can use the following sites to find local consumer Attorneys:

consumeradvocates.org

justia.com

lawyers.com

Findlaw.com