How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 30357
Experience:  Lawyer
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Small Claims Question. My mom has a furniture store. She

Customer Question

Small Claims Question. My mom has a furniture store. She sold an entire bedroom set to a customer (1 bed, 2 nightstands & dresser w/ mirror). The customer accepted delivery then called back complaining the dressers drawers were crooked. So we called the
furniture supplier and supplier confirmed they are not crooked after photos being sent back and forth. Any how to avoid an unhappy client, we took back the dresser and refunded the customer for the dresser cost. The customer now wants me to re order another
dresser and my mom is refusing to order because she said it will be the same thing again. She doesn't owe him money, he doesn't owe us however he sued my mom in small claims and i'm assuming his complain is going to be that he now wants to return everything.
Anyway, during this time, my mom was diagnosed with a brain tumor and she has had a brain surgery and undergoing chemotherapy and radiation so it's not the best time to take her to court. Is there anything I can do about this? If she doesn't show up, is she
going to automatically loose?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm very sorry to hear that all of this happened.

She can contact the court and ask to reschedule the court date based on her condition. Based on what you've said, it sounds like she has a very good chance of winning the case if she IS in court. A business may be represented in Small Claims Court by an employee, if the employee has access to the business records needed as evidence in the case. So if your mother has a manager or employee, that person could go to court for her. But it's usually best to have the person who did the transaction there, because most of the case is going to hinge on her testimony as to what happened, and the judge needs to be able to cross-examine her. It's possible that even if another employee appears, she could lose the case by not being there. Note that this will only work if it's the business being sued and not your mother personally. If she's being sued personally, she'll have to appear.

Here is more information:

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.