How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19625
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I had a home foreclosed on back in 2008, 2009. Had Judgement

Customer Question

I had a home foreclosed on back in 2008, 2009. Had Judgement show up on credit report from homeowners association from foreclosed home. Called the HMC few weeks ago as I though delinquent dues lien was placed on property and if not figure out payments. Now HMC has lawyer freeze my bank account. Bank account has funds borrowed against my retirement. Approx $7,500. Any suggestions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Regrettably, the HOA can go after you personally. However, you are entitled to claim certain exemptions. These are properties that the creditors are prevented by law from attaching in order to satisfy a debt.

Unfortunately, with regard to the borrowed fund from your retirement that was seized from your bank account, once the fund left your retirement account, the fund lost its exemption status. However, the creditor is NOT entitled to the whole funds in your bank account. For more information on exemptions and how you claim them, click on the links below:

You may also consider filing for Chapter 7 bankruptcy protection if you are eligible to wipe out the debt. You can use the following sites to find local Bankruptcy Attorneys: