Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in Calitirnia and my husband put solar panels on the

Customer Question

I live in Calitirnia and my husband put solar panels on the house without my suthorization. I am the homeowner & never gave permission. My husband died 10/8/14 & I had to put a roof on the house. The panels came off & I was going to put back on, but the solar co was supposed to add additional panels & upgrade power source at no cost to me When they came back to install the panels the installer said he was only putting on what was taken off. I told him that was not the agreement & what the company said they would do. The panels have been off for 11 months & I am selling the home & the solar compsny put a lien on property. They say I must buy out contract. What are my rights?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

You need to file complaint against the company at the Superior County in your County to release the lien because the company did not do what it promised to do and therefore cannot force you to "buy out" the contract by putting a lien on your property. The company breached the contract first and its breach released you from further obligation under the contract.

It is prudent to retain a local Attorney who handles real estate litigation to assist you with this case.

You can use the following sites to find local Attorneys:

Consumeradvocates.org

justia.com

lawyers.com

Findlaw.com

If you decide to proceed on your own, you can use the Courts self-help center for assistance. Click on the link below for more information:

http://www.courts.ca.gov/selfhelp-start.htm

Best wishes,