How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10022
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased all the material so that my contractor could

Customer Question

I purchased all the material so that my contractor could renovate my bathroom. His worker put to much grout on the wall. I don't like how it came out .So I told him he has to do wall over .He told me I have to purchase more material and he won't charge me for the labor .Meanwhile I also owes him a balance he want me to pay him first ,before he can start all over again . Should I pay Him first or hold his balance until he start the work .I feel he'll not gonna come back and do it over . Im lost what should I do ? Thanks in Advance
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

A few minutes please as I look into this for you.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

When parties enter into a contract (whether written or oral) the work must be performed in a satisfactory manner. If the performing party fails to do so, they can be liable for the cost of repairing the work-including materials (as additional materials would not be required had the work been performed competently). The measure of damages is the cost of repair, as these are considered economic damages. The court will not allow for additional damages (emotional stress, time off work to deal with the issue etc). If payment is made up front, there is no guarantee that the work will be rectified. In NY, a contractor is not required, on a state level, to have a license; however, local areas regulate their contractors. If the perfoming party fails to rectify the situation, an estimate can be obtained by a third party professional, and this can be used to determine damages should a lawsuit prove necessary. One moment please.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Small claims court is appropriate for claims under $5,000. please see:

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Free mediation is offered here:

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Sample complaint letter that can be revised for use in NY:

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any questions on the above?

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Here is a link to locate an attorney:

Should you have further questions please post here to continue our dialogue. Otherwise,

kindly rate positively

as I am an individual contributor and rely on positive ratings to receive compensation for providing the requested information - this does not result in additional charges to the customer, but rather allows the site to credit my account a percentage to compensate me for my time.