Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

I recently purchased a 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500, for

Customer Question

I recently purchased a 2007 Ford Mustang Shelby GT 500, for $29.000 from a car dealer in Connecticut.Two days after I got the car, the engine had a catastrophic failure, and I got estimates of $12.000 to $14.000 to repair it.The car dealer is telling me that I purchased the car "as is", and they cannot do anything to help me repair it.I would like to know as a consumer, if I have any rights, for example with the Lemon law or something, to see if this car dealer could help me getting my car fixed.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

Did the seller make any representations as to the condition of the vehicle? (i.e works perfectly, runs great..etc.)

.

Is $29K around book value?

.

Did you have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic prior to purchasing?

.

Have you had the vehicle inspected after the damage occurred to see if anything was done to conceal it?

.

Was it actually sold "as is" and there is nothing mentioned on the sales contract about a warranty?

.

.

thanks

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dealer told us the vehicle was in perfect shape, and indeed the car looked perfectYes 29K is approx the book valueNo we did not have the vehicle inspected, not sure a professional mechanic would have seen the inside of the engine and what was about to happen, the car ran good when we drove it off the lot, and we trusted the dealer.When the vehicle stopped running, we called the dealer, and they told us to have the car towed to them, they initially told us, they would repair the car, but after they inspected it, the made a decision to to repair it for us and simply told us the car was sold as is. Not sure why they asked up to bring the car back to them.Yes, I believe it was sold as is, but I'm not understanding why they asked us to bring the car back to them and told us they would fix it, and now they changed their mind.I was under the impression that by purchasing a vehicle for 29K, from a reputable car dealer, it would be protected by some kind of lemon law, for at least longer than two days.Thank you
Claudio
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know if anything can be done about this
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Ok, while CT does require a mandatory warranty on most used cars, it only applies if the vehicle is 6 years old or less, so that wouldn't be any help to you.

.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=799&q=245376

.

If this was not something that they could have known about and tried to cover up, then to be honest, you are probably stuck here because in order to be able to prove some type of fraud or misrepresentation, you would have to prove that they knew about the defect and took some type of affirmative action to cover it up or conceal it.

.

As for why they wanted you to tow it back, they probably initially decided to see what it was and if it was something minor. When they realized the extent of the damage, they changed their mind about repairing it.

.

I am sorry that I don't have better news for you.

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, thank you
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, even if the news is lousy...

.

.

thanks