Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have a Wells Fargo checking and savings account I wish to

Customer Question
close, in addition a credit...
I have a Wells Fargo checking and savings account I wish to close, in addition a credit card and personal line of credit are attach to the account. I owe on both the credit and personal line of credit accounts. How do I proceed with closing my checking and savings account, and what happens with the credit credit account and personal line of credit?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
9/30/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick. Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

1. what state are you located in?

2. do you have a copy of the credit agreements under which the credit lines were opened?

I reside in Washington State, I do not have the credit agreements for the Visa credit card account or the personal line of credit, both were open about 10 years ago.
I do plan on making arrangements to continue paying on the account I mentioned.

Okay. There should be no problem closing the checking and saving account unless your credit accounts are tied to the deposit accounts. When you opened the credit accounts there may have been a clause in the agreement that said that the credit lines become immediately due and owing if the deposit accounts are closed. Since you do not have the credit agreements, you will have to contact WF and see what their policy is and what options you may have. It is also possible that no such clause exists and that you were able to secure the credit accounts based soley on your income and credit history. If that is the case, then you should be able to close the deposit accounts so long as you make alternative arrangements for any direct withdrawals you may have from them to pay toward the credit lines.

(D) If this answers your question, please go ahead and assign a feedback rating now.

(E) If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place.

(F) You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK". Thank you for using Just Answer.

well I know I can close my accounts, however I was asking how to proceed legally, do I need to put it in writing, if so what do I say to make sure its done also is the visa credit account different from the line of credit, how do I proceed with arrangements to take care of them legally as well?

The easiest way to close both credit lines is to go to a WF branch near you and do it in person. It does not need to be in writing, but they should give you proof that it is being closed as of XYZ date. The next option is to call and do it over the phone and ask them to send you written proof that the deposit accounts have been closed. Your third option is to send WF written notice and give them instructions of what you want done with the funds that remain in the deposit accounts. They can mail them to you via a check, for example; or apply them to you credit accounts.

Typically, both credit lines can will be treated the same way; unless the agreements you signed say something different.

I am not closing the lines of credit.
I want to close the checking and saving accounts

My mistake. As you can see from context, I was thinking depsot accounts and typed in credit lines by error. For clarity, let me retype the answer here:

The easiest way to close both deposit accounts is to go to a WF branch near you and do it in person. It does not need to be in writing, but they should give you proof that it is being closed as of XYZ date. The next option is to call and do it over the phone and ask them to send you written proof that the deposit accounts have been closed. Your third option is to send WF written notice and give them instructions of what you want done with the funds that remain in the deposit accounts. They can mail them to you via a check, for example; or apply them to you credit accounts.

Typically, upon closing the deposit accounts, both credit lines can will be treated the same way; unless the agreements you signed say something different. The cc account is usually unsecured so there is only a slim chance that it would have been opened conditioned on your maintaining a deposit account at WF. But banks often have a right to offset cc balances against deposit accounts if you default on the cc agreement.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer