How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small body shop that I run from the garage at my

Customer Question

My name is***** have a small body shop that I run from the garage at my home a person bought a car to me to be repair it has front end collision there was supposed to bring back our deposit for me to start on vehicle its been 3 years now I haven't heard anything from the person that owns the car I tried going through BMV I've also pay for court to do something about it and so far no response from either I'm at my an and don't know what I can do about this car but I will like to keep it and repair for myself but can't get in touch with the owner R&B mV can get in touch no response can you help in a situation like this thank you
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

Dear Customer,

You say that you have "pay for court" but have you actually filed a "Declaratory relief action" with the court to get possession of the vehicle?

(That is how you would go about getting a court order to get title of the vehicle).

The best place to start with this is going to be your local law library - look for "Practice Guides" as they will have information on how to file these actions, but more importantly will usually have templates that you can use for the court filings. As you cannot find the owner, you will need to file a motion to "serve by publication" (there will be more information on how exactly to do this (along with more forms) in the law library.

Expect this process to take between 3-6 months from the date of filing to the court issuing you a judgment giving you title to the vehicle.

If you take a look at the information at your law library and are overwhelmed, contact a local attorney - this is a pretty simple case, and they should be able to represent you and get you title to the car for a nominal fee (look at it as the cost of "buying" the car). You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).