How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19627
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In CAlif. my car was re-ended. The other driver was arrested

Customer Question

In CAlif. my car was re-ended. The other driver was arrested on scene for a number of violations (DUI etc.). Her insurance company paid the initial repair bill for my vehicle, but upon submission of a subsequent repair bill, declared my vehicle totalled
and reported to Ca. DMV that put a salvage title on my car. All of this was done without telling me. The tital cost of repairs was less than 50% the blue book value of my car. Is the insurance company's actions legal?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 2 years ago.

No, it is not. Although the insurance company can report the car as a total loss to DMV, but that is after it has paid for the loss to you and you have reached a settlement. See California Vehicle Code Section 544.