How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RobertJDFL Your Own Question
RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 13507
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
RobertJDFL is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband is from mexico and has an uncommon name,I was

Customer Question

my husband is from mexico and has an uncommon name,I was looking up his name and came across with the same exact name and almost the same date of birth. How can I find out if they are using my social security number to receive credit cards and so forth
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I look forward to assisting you.

If you believe that your social security number is ***** used, there are a few things you can do.

First, review the earnings posted to your record on your Social Security Statement. To get your online Statement, go to my Social Security and check your account. If you see any inconsistencies (e.g., you see earnings that are too high for how much you made, or earnings in years you didn't work), contact the Social Security Administration.

You also should request a free copy of your credit report. You can order free credit reports annually from the three major credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian and Trans Union).

Make a single request for all three credit bureau reports:

The credit reports will show you if any accounts have been opened in your name. If there is anything you don't recognize, you'll want to immediately report that to the credit bureaus (you can report it to one, and they'll notify the others for you) and ask them to flag the account against further suspicious activity.

Next, if there is fraud, contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to report the identity theft. To contact the FTC:

  • Go to;
  • Call 1-***-***-**** (TTY 1-***-***-****); or
  • Send mail to: FTC,*****NW, Washington, DC 20580

If you believe someone is using your Social Security number to work, get your tax refund, or other abuses involving a taxes, contact the IRS.
To contact the IRS:

Lastly, if there has been identity theft, contact your local police department and file a police report regarding the theft.

If you need additional information or clarification, kindly REPLY and I'll be happy to assist you. Thank you.