How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116808
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My contractor sent me a bill ,000, almost two years after

Customer Question

My contractor sent me a bill for 3,000, almost two years after the work was completed.
The bill was for repainting my kitchen whick=h they had verbally agreed to do at no cost.
The bill is for extra work that had to be done to locate the water pipe that burst and put insulation around it. I never agreed or signed anything agreeing to thi. What should I do about this 3,000 bill? I have no money to give them.
I have filed for disability and haven't been able to work for three years.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under MI law, they have SIX years from the date the work was done to sue you for breach of contract to collect. The issue with a verbal agreement is it is your word against his word, so you would need to send him a letter in response to his bill and explain to him that he agreed to do the work he is now billing you for at no charge. Explain to him that you would never have consented to the work had he told you there would be charges and the fact he is waiting now over 2 years to send you a bill is proof that there was never any intent to charge you. Inform him that if he continues to pursue collection of this bill, you would have no choice but to file a complaint with the Attorney General and the Better Business Bureau and will take him to court and seek damages against him for trying to collect a bill that is not for valid charges.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will be contacting the contractor regarding his bill tomorrow.Depending on what happens, I will then rate you.I am very nervous; I have never had to handle something like this in my lifetime,Wish me luck, and thank you for your words of wisdom.I hope they help me succeed,
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply.

If he refuses to work this out, you need to file your complaint against him.