Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed in PA & NJ, Experienced attorney.
18572087

A college sent my tuition bill to collection I send a Debit

Customer Question

A college sent my tuition bill to collection I send a Debit validation letter to the collection agency and the school sent back a copy of the bill with emails about my BBB complaint, My Unusual Enrollment History forms trying to get approve for financial aid to cover the bill. Did the school violate my privacy right?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dimitry Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

There is no inherent duty to protect your privacy. As such, since there is no privacy right to your complaints, you therefore cannot sue them for disclosing your complaints. I am sorry!

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the school disclose financial aid documents applying for U.S. financial aid to collection agency's?

As proof of debt the school can disclose the information on your documentation. That can include your address, and means of finding you as part of collecting on this debt. That information is NOT private once you choose to disclose it to the school and can be used to collect the debt if one exists.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.