Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I had my DirectTV DVR fail in such a way that it is sending

Customer Question
Hi, I had my DirectTV...
Hi, I had my DirectTV DVR fail in such a way that it is sending voltage through its HDMI port, and damaged both my tv and my stereo. The DVR causes my tv to shut down instantly if plugged in via HDMI, but no other sources do this (including my new DVR).
After their techs came out and watched the problem, and tested my home electrics and finding no problems, Directv has offered to pay me 350 for the used tv I picked up to replace the damaged one, but would not pay for my receiver since the problem is intermittent.
The third tech that installed the new DVR saw the problem with my stereo, but of course that "never happened". They would also not reimburse me for the 2 months worth of service I didn't have due to this problem, or the parts I had replaced in the damaged
tv trying to fix the issues caused by their DVR the whole time. The total for these is about $1200 total. I still have the old tv and DVR until this is figured out. My question is would I have a leg to stand on in small claims, if I could show with a voltmeter
that voltage is coming out of their DVR? Also, if I take them to small claims and lose, I assume they don't have to pay me anything? Wondering if I have a case or should just bite the bullet and take the money.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/23/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)!

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information for your educational purposes only;

(B) No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with a JA expert;

(C) If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney of your choice in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given by a JA expert;

(D) When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time. Please wait until then to assign the rating as initially I may still be getting more information from you to formulate a better answer; and

(E) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then please know that I make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you accept, understand and agree to these terms.

ANSWER:

It sounds like you have a leg to stand on but that you would have to sue the DVR manufacturer for your loses and may have to join the Direct TV just to be safe and make sure you cover your basis so they don't point the finger at each other. Also, you would have to be able to recreate the problem in court or hire an expert to testify that their product is the source of the problem. You maybe could recover the expert witness fees if you win, but if you don't you would end up eating that cost. If you make more money putting in overtime at your job, I would take the $350 and do that instead since court cases are a gamble at best.

If this answers your question, please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me for my time.

If you are not satisfied with the answer, I would appreciate knowing why so that I can try to clear up any misunderstanding that may have taken place. Please allow up to 24 hours for a follow-up response if I am signed off.

You may request me in the future on new and unrelated questions by beginning the question with "THIS IS FOR MAVERICK".

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer