Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I JUST PURCHASED A NEW 2015 VW JETTA. THE FIRST JETT A JETTA

Customer Question
S HAD ONE THING I...
I JUST PURCHASED A NEW 2015 VW JETTA. THE FIRST JETT A JETTA S HAD ONE THING I REQUESTED, A BACK UP CAMERA, OTHERWISE IT WAS LIKE THE CAR I WAS TRADING IN EXCEPT MY CAR HAD MORE EXTRA THAN THE NEW ONE. I DIDN'T WANT IT SO I DECLINED. THE SALESMAN AND I HAD DISCUSSED HOW MUCH I COULD AFFORD FOR A CAR PAYMENT, HE RELAYED THAT INFO TO THE BUSINESS MANAGER ON SEVERAL OCASSIONS. HE ALSO NEW I WANTED LIGHT INTERIOR. THEY TALKED BACK AND FOURTH, THEN SHOWED ME ANOTHER JETTA BUT IT WAS AN SE NOT AN S. OF COURSE IT WAS A NICER CAR. IT HAD LEATHER SEATS, BU CAMERA, SUNROOF AND OTHER ADD ONS. I WAS CONERED ABOUT HOW MUCH THE PERSONAL PROPERTY TAX WAS. I LOOKED IT UP AND IT WAS GOING TO BE TO MUCH FPOR ME TO PAY. JUST SO YOU KNOW THIS WHOLE TIME I WAS THINKING MY CAR PAYMENT WAS GOING TO BE UNDER 400 DOLLARS. I LEFT AND WENT HOME TO DO SOME RESEARCH, COME TO FIND OUT PROPERTY TAX WAS GOING TO BE ABOUT A HUNDRED DOLLARS LESS, I STILL THINKING PAYMENT UNDER 400 CALLEDTHE SALESMAN TO ARRANGE FORE ME TO COME BACK IN AND SEE WHAT WE COULD WORK OUT. I REDROVE THE JETTA SE. HAD THEM PUT NUMBERS TOGETHER AND HE BROUGHT BACK TWO DIFFERENT PAYMENT CHOICES. I WAS NOT REALLY SURE WHAT WAS GOING ON. THEY TOLD ME THE LOWER PAYMENT WAS FOR A JETTA SE WITH OUT THE SUNROOF, BUT THEY DID NOT HAVE ONE ONE THE LOT WITH LIGHT INTERIOR THEY WOULD HAVE TO GET ONE FROM MISSOURI. THEY WANTED ME TO HANG OUT UNTIL THEY GOT BACK WITH IT. I WAS THERE FOR 8 HRS. WE DID PAPERWORK IN THE MEAN WHILE SO WE WOULD BE AHEAD OF THE GAME. WHILE WAITING I ASK THE SALESMAN 3 TIMESTO MAKE SURE THAT THE CAR COMING WAS A JETTA SE LIKE THE ONE I DROVE EXCEPT MINUS THE SUNROOF. HE REPLIED YES EACH TIME. IT WAS A LONG DAY AND I WAS STRESSED TO THE LIMIT. WHEN THE CAR FINALLY GOT THERE I JUST KIND OF GOT IN TO DRIVE HOME, AS I LIVED OUT OF TOWN. THE NEXT DAY WAS WHEN I NOTICED THINGS WEREN'T RIGHT. ALL THIS CAR HAD ON IT WAS THE BU CAMERA AND OF COURSE NO SUNROOF. COME TO FIND OUT THE CAR WAS AN S TRIM NOT THE SE. I AM VERY UNHAPPY AND WOULD LIKE TO TAKE THE CAR BACK. IS THERE A LEGAL PROTECTION FOR ME TO BE ANLE TO DO THIS? THANKS.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/20/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Dimitry Esquire, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney

Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.

That very much depends on how your documentation is drafted. If the contract calls this an 'SE' rather than an 'S', you can claim that the contract is void because it is incorrect. Likewise, if you have terms in writing that you related to the dealer and those options were not included, you can also claim that this is a 'bait and switch' situation and that if they do not take this back to make it right, you will contact the state Attorney General's office, speak with their consumer protection division, and file a grievance. Now please keep in mind that time is critical; you cannot sit on this as you must contact the dealer RIGHT AWAY, as in tomorrow, and likewise be prepared to contact the AG's office right away as well. If you just purchased it, such as today, yesterday, or friday, you are probably fine, but the longer you wait the less likely you are able to argue that this is void because you did not otherwise attempt to resolve this in a timely manner.

Sincerely,

Dimitry, Esq.

Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire
Dimitry Esquire, Attorney