Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

I want to take a girl to small claims court owed. She keeps

Customer Question

I want to take a girl to small claims court for money owed. She keeps avoiding me and I'm tired of it. my question is can I add interest to what she owe me??
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Further, if you get a message asking if you want to do additional services like a telephone call that message is automatically generated by the website and is not sent from me. I, like most of the experts in the Legal categories, do not do telephone calls due to issues with State Bar rules and other concerns.

The law allows you to ask for "legal interest" which is an amount that occasionally fluctuates and is set by statute. You can see the rates at http://www.kssos.org/other/business_finance_rates.html#judgement

When the judge signs the judgment it will be for a set amount, plus interest through the date the judgment is signed and then interest from that point until it is paid "at the legal interest rate".