Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Lawrence, Kansas My car was towed from an apartment complex.

Customer Question

Lawrence, Kansas
My car was towed from an apartment complex.
There are no signs whatsoever on either entrance indicating no visitors parking, or that permits required.
No sign indicating who the tow company would be if a car was towed.
Private tow company would only accept cash
Charged $175 vs the local police tow rate of $95
Property manager or property owner not on site - believe another resident called the tow company.
I only know which company towed the vehicle because the tow driver came back for another car (his third from that area he told me)
I called the police who said they cannot help me because it was residential property.
Who can I call now, how can I find out what the laws are in Lawrence Kansas?
What recourse do I have?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Under the Lawrence laws, see: https://www.lawrenceks.org/assets/city-code/chapter17.pdf, the area must be posted or the vehicle had to be parked more than 48 hours and a notice placed on the vehicle. If they did not comply with those laws you can sue the apartment complex and also the towing company. The towing company also is not supposed to charge, under the laws I gave you the link to above, more than $150 for the tow. So you have recourse to sue both the apartment complex and tow company for improper tow and seek to recover your money under the KS ordinances posted in the link above.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link does not work.

Thank you for your reply, the site has some issue with links I apologize, you need to copy it and past it into your browser.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you - Are you able to answer the question regarding cash vs credit card?

Thank you for your reply.

It is up to the company what form of payment they choose to take. They do not have to take credit card if they do not want and they can refuse to even take a check and can insist on cash, that is solely up to any business owner.