How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116753
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

First Select Inc. started wage garnishment from me.

Customer Question

First Select Inc. started wage garnishment from me. Affidavit of wage summons for 13yrs old time-barred debt was give to my job, i didn't receive information on a court date. There are taking 15% of my pay. If I showed up court I could let the judge know this a time-barred debt, and I was provided that this a debt I occurred. What is my course of action to stop this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

You need to file an objection to garnishment and present evidence they did not obtain a court judgment in time within the statute of limitations and as such the garnishment is illegal. IF you prove they are collecting on an illegal or improper judgment that was obtained beyond the statute of limitations, you are not only entitled to all of the money back, but also attorney's fees and up to three times your losses for punitive damages for them filing an illegal garnishment action.

I would suggest thus, using a local attorney to file to extinguish the garnishment and vacate any judgment and seek damages against them for their improper actions.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions