How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The water utility companies I purchased water from charged

Customer Question

The water utility companies I purchased water from charged me for 157000 gallons of water last month .I live alone in a 2 bedroom 1 bath house located in a town where the average house uses only4000 gallons a month.what can I do to get the overpayment back.l told them about and all they said they'd send someone to check for leeks or a broken pipe witch they never did. My bill this month the y are trying to charge me for 48000 gallons. What can I do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

I am sorry to learn of this situation.

  • Start by following up to your phone complaint with a formal letter (see my note below on "confirmation letters" where you can write a letter that summarizes your prior phone calls). Many people rely on phone calls but they make a poor substitute for a written record.
  • In your letter give them a specific period of time to respond to your issue (for example "please respond within 10 days from the date of this letter")
  • If your letter does not yield a response, you can then follow up with a formal request for a hearing (most water companies in California are municipal agencies, so they operate under the California Administrative Procedure Act, you will want to ask them for the specific process for filing an administrative appeal).
  • Please note, the APA runs on a very short timeline. Many people lose their appeals by failing to meet the timelines - so carefully calendar your appeal!!!
  • If all of that fails, then file a civil suit in small claims court.