Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

Direct TV failed to show installation and automatically

Customer Question

Hi, Direct TV failed to show for an installation and automatically rescheduled my appointment without my consent. I've missed a half day of work and cancelled my service, however I would like to sue them for my missed wages- I am a contractor and charge the client $143/hour, so I would sue for $572. I hate to be petty, but they were not willing to reimburse me for my time and did not fulfill their appointment obligation, so I will sue. I welcome your thoughts. Great answers to these questions, by the way!
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

DirectTV tries to get out of these types of suits by claiming that when they set up the calls, they are not guaranteed and may be changed or canceled by them. However, the fact is when they set them up they do not inform the customer of that and if they agreed to show up on a certain date and time and failed to show up, you have a right to sue for breach of contract and you would file in small claims court where DTV hates to show up. So, most times they will not appear, you would get a default judgment, but then you would need to pursue them to collect and seek a writ of enforcement and seek to possibly seize their accounts for the judgment, which would take you turning over collections to an attorney to perform.