How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

A credit card company gave my information to a collector

Customer Question

A credit card company gave my information to a collector without my consent and is attempting to take me to court. A letter was sent to me asking to appear for a motion for a change of venue. What are my rights?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Ely replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note:This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation.

1) A credit card company does not need permission to send your debt to a debt collection agency, either on contingency to collect or sue.

2) A collection agency can sue on the company's behalf, either on contingency basis, or if the debt was sold to them.

3) A Motion to Change Venue asks the Court to move the suit to a different county. Someone in your situation needs to file an ANSWER in general (if this is not has already been done, to avoid default), as well as a REPLY to the motion to change venue.

4) Let me know if you need a sample ANSWER.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.