How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 118273
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My insurance company didnt bill me last month, so when i

Customer Question

my insurance company didnt bill me last month, so when i went to sure i would be billed, they said they would do it on the 10th its now the 11th and it wasnt taken out. so i called them to make sure id get billed, they told me the policy was cancelled and when a policy gets cancelled the rate goes up, so im now paying 70 dollars more. my questions is, if i was not the one to cancel my policy but it did end up cancelling, is there something that i can do about this? it does not feel justified.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

If the insurer did not notify you of cancellation of the policy and did not bill you or take out an automatic payment without notice to you, then your first step is notifying the state Insurance Commissioner regarding their failure to bill and cancellation without notice. If the Insurance Commissioner's office cannot resolve this dispute, you have a breach of contract claim against the insurer and can also claim this as an unfair and deceptive practice to increase your rates and you would then be able to sue the insurance company for that breach and unfair practice in court and seek damages that their breach has caused you to incur.

So those are your steps to take to resolve this matter with the insurer if they refuse to reinstate your policy at the original rate.