Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18+ years of NYS litigation experience.
18321761

I WENT TO THE DOCTOR TODAY AND I SHOWED HER MY MEDICATION

Customer Question

I WENT TO THE DOCTOR TODAY AND I SHOWED HER MY MEDICATION (WHICH SHE PRESCRIBED AND I BOUGHT). SHE THEN PROCEEDED TO CONFISCATE MY MEDICINE AND WOULDN'T RETURN THE MEDICATION TO ME. SHE THEN PRESCRIBED MY MORE OF THE SAME MEDICATION. WAS SHE IN HER LEGAL RIGHTS TO CONFISCATE MY MEDICATION?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 2 years ago.

Did your doctor give you a reason for her confiscating your medication? Was the medication generic when she'd prescribed the non-generic form, for example? Was there some reason that she distrusted the medication, for exaple it was an old prescription and she was concerned about the medication being past it's sell-by date? Or did you order it from an online foreign pharmacy where it might not be genuine or reliable? Was it a different dosage that she no longer wanted you to take?

In general, she has no right to confiscate your prescription. But if she feels it would not be wise or that it could be dangerous for you to use the medication in that particular bottle, then she wouldn't be wrong to take it and destroy it.

In general, she has no right to confiscae