How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My car was taken out of state, from California to Oregon

Customer Question

My car was taken out of state, from California to Oregon after I loaned it a family's ex to take the kids to school. I just had the vehicle put in my name(after my aunt died), but needed to get a smog to complete the registration. When I went to pick up the car it was gone, told it was in the state of Oregon. The Citrus Heights police do not want to get involved unless I find the car, its a civil matter. But by going to DMV and providing them with the correct paperwork they started the registration and the car is in my name. When I contacted the Oregon Police and told them where my car is, they said I can come up and get my car but I better have all my duck in a row. My question is by going to DMV and starting the registration is that proof enough that I am the owner of the car? Just cant complete it because it was taken out of state.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

No. Starting the registration process is not proof enough that you are the owner of the car. The car must infact be registered in your name in order for you to be considered the owner of the car.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions