Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I got a vehicle from a dealership, it is not yet financed,

Customer Question
may i legally return it...
I got a vehicle from a dealership, it is not yet financed, may i legally return it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/29/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Andrea, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer

Thank you for bringing your question to JustAnswer,

Unfortunately, there is no provision for "buyer's remorse" in the purchase of a vehicle, as in some transactions where the buyer, or consumer has 3 days to void an agreement.

you asked if you could legally return the vehicle to the dealer. The correct legal Answer is "No". The fact that an Agreement of Sale was signed makes the transaction leqally binding on both the dealer and the buyer.

From a legal standpoint, the dealer has the right to sue you for Specific Performance and ask the Court to compel you to go through with the transaction.

Do dealers generally do this ? No, As a practical matter, dealers do not make a practice of suing a buyer to force him to go through with the sale because it takes too much time, it involves legal fees, and it makes the dealer look bad. So, it is extremely rare for a dealer to take a prospective buyer to Court to force him to go through with the transaction. A dealer will consider suing the buyer in situations where the vehicle was specially ordered for the buyer and was fitted with expensive features which the buyer ordered and it would be nearly impossible for the dealer to sell it to an average vehicle purchaser.

So, just return it to the dealer as soon as possible, and tell the dealer any excuse why you cannot buy the vehicle right now.

If I have not Answered your question, let me know and I will be glad to explain further,

If I have Answered your question, please be kind enough to leave a Positive rating. You have already plced a deposit with JustAnswer and it will not cost you anything additional to leave a positive rating. But, without a positive rating, JustAnswer will not give me credit for assisting you. Thank you for understanding,

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA

So, although the dealer can legally force a buyer to go through with the purchase, as a practical matter, he will not take that route. If you have changed your mind about the vehicle and want to return it, I would suggest that you do not drive it anywhere, except to take it back to the dealer. You do not want to put any mileage on the vehicle and you do not want to risk getting into an accident with the vehicle because then the dealer, for sure, will not accept it as a return.

Hi, I see that you have had the opportunity to review my Answer. Is there anything that you would like me to clarify ? If not, please be kind enough to leave a positive rating for me so that JustAnswer will give me credit for assisting you. You have already made a deposit with JustAnswer and it will not cost you anything additional to leave a positive rating, But without it, JustAnswer keeps your deposit and I receive nothing for my time and effort. Thank you for understanding,

Kindest Regards,

ANDREA

Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq.
Andrea, Esq., Lawyer