How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 19285
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband, a legal immigrant from Mexico with a 10-yr.

Customer Question

My husband, a legal immigrant from Mexico with a 10-yr. green card, recently visited our local ER for a facial laceration. We, due to low self-employment income, do not have health insurance. (Our 5-yr.-old daughters are covered by Medicaid) After more than an hour,*****Scans and a Chest X-Ray (?) were done, yet the wound was not cleaned, nor did he receive any checks of vitals, pain, etc. We left, had the wound cleaned and sutured at an emergency care clinic for a total of $800, including follow-up. Despite a letter to the CEO of the local - Lake Granbury Medical Center ER (nationally known for overcharging by more than 9% for cost of care, according to a recent study) - we have a hospital bill for more than $12,000, a doctor bill of more than $645 and an additional smaller bill, with our company name listed as payee. Do we have any recourse at all for terrible/lack of service and outrageous prices? How will this affect our/my husband's credit? What can we do?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure why your company is being named the payee for medical bills incurred by your husband.

Your husband needs to send a letter to the billing department that he disputes the validity of the bill. That he cannot pay for services that he did not receive. That he left the hospital and received needed treatment at an emergency care clinic.

Regrettably, if the bill is not paid, the information may be reported to the credit reporting agencies. However, it would be a violation of the Fair Credit Reporting Act to report the delinquent information on your (business) credit file when there is an ongoing dispute.

As a last resort, bankruptcy protection may be explored to erase the debt. However, your credit (business) would be adversely affected by the bankruptcy filing.