Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney,16 years experience in consumer protection areas
19958803

My husband and I impulsively purchased a chair at a county

Customer Question

Hi My husband and I impulsively purchased a chair at a county fair two weeks ago. Unfortunately, my husband did not read what he was signing and the receipt states final sale. The chair is $4,5000.
We realize the chair was way over our budget and we have found a similar chair for a quarter of the cost.
The chair has not been delivered. Do we have to accept delivery of the chair. The chair is a standard model and not custom ordered. Please help
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.

.

I am very sorry to hear that the seller is not willing to reverse the transaction. But unfortunately, if they have a stated policy that all sales are final and there is no return option, then legally they can enforce that. There is no inherent right to return an item once it is purchased if there is nothing wrong with it. Buyer's remorse, or the fact that you could find a lower price elsewhere, wouldn't give you a legal ground to cancel the transaction without repercussions.

.

So I would have to agree with the card company that if there is nothing defective with the chair, and they have a no refunds policy, then the card issuer wouldn't have the legal right to reverse the charge even if you disputed it.

.

If you could somehow convince the card company to reverse the charge, then the seller would have to sue you in court under a breach of contract action to try and recover the funds. If they did that, I would opine that they would win a judgment for the cost of the chair.

.

I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank You Barrister
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome. Glad to help even if the news wasn't great..
.
.
thanks