How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 116707
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in the State of Rhode Island. I have a very quick

Customer Question

Hello, I live in the State of Rhode Island. I have a very quick question. Me and my ex have been divorced for 6 years. We both have full joint custody and joint placement of our son. My son needed medications, as I had my son for a full week, which I picked
up from the pharmacy. Apparantely, that did not go over well with my ex, because of his controlling nature. I guess that my ex spoke with the pharmacy and now I am no longer allowed by the pharmacy, to pick up our sons medications. I have let him pick up my
sons prescriptions, just to make life easy, but now it seems like he is going to far. My ex husband wanted to pick up my sons meds and drop them off at my home, instead of me picking them up myself. There is nothing that should prevent me from picking up his
meds, other than him stopping me. My son is covered by my ex husbands health insurance, which includes my ex and my son, which is why I think the pharmacy will not let me pick up meds anymore, or to know anything else, about my sons prescriptions. It seems
like my ex has stopped that. Here is my question. 1. I have by law, full joint custody, which includes my right to have knowledge and input into my sons medical well being, which I would imagine, would include his medications. 2. Would I need to take my ex
husband back to court, in order to get some sort of paperwork to show the pharmacy that I can legally pick up my sons medications. 3. Can a pharmacy not allow me to pick up my sons medications, if I have joint custody. Thank you, Wendy
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Your ex cannot stop you from picking up medications if you both have full joint custody and placement. It would be a contempt of the court order and grounds for you to file an order to show cause for contempt of court for him doing so. Also, he cannot stop you from knowing about your son's health issues and medications or even his medical treatment, that would violate the joint custody/placement order.
Unfortunately, the only thing you can do is file the motion for the order to show cause for contempt of court. The pharmacy is not going to get involved in this mess, so they will honor whatever the parent who has the insurance payment for the medication asks and will tell you to come back with a court order and then they will honor it and that is because they do not want to get involved in your legal matter and will wait for the court to tell them what to do.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions