How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We purchased a car last week. The down payment of $8.000 was

Customer Question

We purchased a car last week. The down payment of $8.000 was returned NSF from our bank while we were switching the money over. We now have decided we do not want the car and cannot afford to pay the down payment. What can we do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to learn about this situation.

Unfortunately you have already signed the purchase agreement to buy the vehicle, and the seller has a right to hold you to the contract (if you fail to tender the down payment, and make the monthly payments, they can sue you for breach of contract).

You can try negotiating a release from the sales contract with the seller, but they have no obligation to do so.

You will want to deal with the NSF situation with your check as quickly as possible (hopefully they will only charge you a small fee for processing the check (your contract should spell out exactly what happens with an NSF)).

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions