How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 4174
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I purchased a car about 3 years ago from a dealership, which

Customer Question

Good morning,
I purchased a car about 3 years ago from a dealership, which I paid in full cash. Apparently, one of the owner's of the dealership who sold me the car, had a lien on the car still. I never received the title, which he promised I would receive. Recently, they repossessed the vehicle, but prior to that I took Wells Fargo (the lien holder) to small claims court in hopes of getting some where with them. The judge told me it's not Wells Fargo fault and that it was the dealership's fraud. I was advised by the judge to personally sue the owner of the dealership and charge him with fraud (the dealership has been closed for some time now so there is no bond company either). Based off of Facebook, i know the owner of the dealership currently resides in Miami, Florida. I have his full name and his social security #, but I believe that if I sue him he wont show up to court.
My question is: can I sue him for fraud, and how much will it cost me?
Thank you very much.
Please contact me at***@******.***
cell(###) ###-####
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 2 years ago.


Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Yes, you can sue. You can suee in either the state that the transaction occurred in or where the defendant lives. Depending on the amount at issue you may be able to sue in small claims court. The small claims court amount that you can sue for is different in the different states.

In Florida it is $5,000.00. If you sue in Small claims court the costs will be a few hundred dollars for filing and service fees. The clerk of the court can tell you exactly how much, because it can differ by County. Here are some resources that can help explain the process:

If the amount involved is more than the small claim limit you will need to sue in the trial court for the state. This is more expensive, and more complicated. You likely will need an attorney to assist you with that. The cost for that will vary depending on the rate the attorney will charge, but you can expect to pay several thousand dollars for that.

I see that you are asking for a phone call. This site charges additionalfees for that. I do not want you to have to spend additional money unnecessarily, so if you wish to continue posting any follow up questions that may be more cost effective for you.

I hope the information I have provided is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 2 years ago.
One other point. If he does not appear in response to a properly filed and served summons and complaint (lawsuit) you may be able to obtain a default judgment.
Good luck.
Kind regards,