Consumer Protection Law

Consumer Protection Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer Now.

Consumer Protection Law

I have received a notice of taxes owed to Sweden from 2009,

Customer Question
this is the first notice...
I have received a notice of taxes owed to Sweden from 2009, this is the first notice I have had since leaving the country in 2009. The amount owed it about $50 however they are claiming an additional $3000+ for collection fees - since I'm now under Federal/Idaho jurisdiction is there any limit to the amount of collection fees a foreign state can add, in this case the collection fee is approaching 6000% of original amount?
Btw, I never paid taxes in Sweden while living there because I never worked in the country, this may be a fee relating to the sale of an apartment in 2009.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Consumer Protection Law
8/11/2015
Consumer Protection Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Hello, first the collection effort may be a scam. Demand proof of debt in writing.
Second they would need to pursue you in your state where a court won't permit such usurious and unconscionable rates.
You may also go on the offensive!
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved!
martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.
Infolawyer, Lawyer