How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Infolawyer Your Own Question
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 56483
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Infolawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received a notice of taxes owed to Sweden from 2009,

Customer Question

I have received a notice of taxes owed to Sweden from 2009, this is the first notice I have had since leaving the country in 2009. The amount owed it about $50 however they are claiming an additional $3000+ for collection fees - since I'm now under Federal/Idaho jurisdiction is there any limit to the amount of collection fees a foreign state can add, in this case the collection fee is approaching 6000% of original amount?
Btw, I never paid taxes in Sweden while living there because I never worked in the country, this may be a fee relating to the sale of an apartment in 2009.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.
Hello, first the collection effort may be a scam. Demand proof of debt in writing.
Second they would need to pursue you in your state where a court won't permit such usurious and unconscionable rates.
You may also go on the offensive!
You have a few options. Let me outline them. You can pursue a complaint in civil court. You may sue for losses suffered plus costs and interest. You can also file a complaint with the attorney general office. You can threaten these options before pursuing and use for leverage. local counsel can also get involved! and are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. Good luck. Kindly rate the answer OK or higher.

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions