How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 10258
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question about Relief Solutions International. I am

Customer Question

I have a question about Relief Solutions International. I am a timeshare owner and went to a presentation by RSI yesterday about getting relief from my maintenance fees. I have paid my full contract but still have these fees. RSI would charge me $2500 each for my two contracts to be relieved, but although I made a partial payment to do this, I have some reservations. I need to withdraw from dealing with them in the next two days or go forward with this arrangement. What would you advise?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
Hi! LegalGems here. I'll do my best to assist you.I can only provide general information, so a follow up consult with a private lawyer is recommended.
Most time share companies will take the time share back without charging a fee. This is called Deed in Lieu of Foreclosure. The time share companies typically require that the maintenance fees be current.
Most of the companies that charge to resell a timeshare do not make any promises to actually sell it- so the "fee" for attempting to sell it would still be payable.
Many people will try and donate their time share- this is a win win, because they get a tax write off, and avoid paying future maintenance fees.
We can't give specific referrals but you can google charities that accept timeshares.
Some people will transfer their time share to a third party for free, so that the third party takes over the obligations. This saves on the fees being charged by the company.
So the best bet is to find an organization that will accept this as a donation.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Thank you for using JA. If you have further questions please post here and I will reply. Otherwise kindly rate Positively so the site credits me for assisting you today. Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 2 years ago.
This article discusses timeshares:
It also discusses how some attorneys are suing the time share companies for deceitful business practices. So it may be worthwhile to hire an attorney to write a letter demanding a full termination of the contract, threatening legal action for deceitful conduct, if that applies.